The making of great holiday appetizers:
- Looks pretty and festive
- Must be easily eaten in one or two bites
- Is delicious
- Easy to make (The main dish is what’s supposed to take so much time!)
This Fresh Vegan Brushetta? Our BFF Silvia created it, so obviously it’s festive and beautiful. Check. We’re pretty sure this would get gobbled up in seconds. Check. Toby’s + fresh basil and tomatoes – how can you go wrong with those flavors?! Check. Chop up a few ingredients, spread Toby’s on toast and serve. Sounds easy enough. Check. We’d say it meets all the criteria for a great holiday appetizer for sure.
It’s always nice to have a vegan appetizer at your own holiday festivities. If not just to satisfy dietary needs, to get some much needed greens, veggies, and fresh deliciousness to your holiday meals.
And, if you’re following a vegan diet, it’s the perfect thing to bring to a dinner or potluck (because no one will know it’s vegan, they’ll just happily enjoy).
We love the idea of decorating the plate with basil leaves, too. Almost looks like holly! Especially with the splash of red underneath – it’s all about dressing them up (and fooling your friends and family that your favorite recipes are really holiday recipes).
Side note – We really shouldn’t just limit it to the holidays because it’s delicious any time of the year, perfect for a light snack or brunch!
But really, we love this recipe for the holidays because it’s a much needed light addition to the heavy food traditions of the holidays.
Fresh Vegan Brushetta
- 1 french baguette, sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup Toby’s Lite Tofu (Original works too, if you don’t need/want a vegan version)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients but bread and Toby’s Tofu. Toss gently.
- Slice bread and toast until slightly browned. Top with Toby’s Tofu and tomato mix and serve immediately. Enjoy!